Monday, February 23, 2009

Monkey Boots


You know you have good friends when you have a bad day, gripe and complain a little, and they still come around and want to hang out with you.

You, my blog reading friend, are one of those pals! Thank you!

I'd like to ask you to pray for Von tomorrow. Some of the drugs he takes to kill the cancer also attack muscles, bones and structural components in his extremities. Recently he has not been walking as much and tires easily. (I get this way when it comes time to mow the lawn and will have to remember the medical terminology to try and use on my wife as an excuse.)

Von got braces recently and loves wearing them. I've been so impressed with our family and visitors who come over and make a big to-do over the fact that he gets to wear these and how cool they are. At his age, he looks to us for how he should respond to stuff and it's an easy sell if you call them Star Wars boots or his monkey boots. (He puts a half-peeled banana in between the bottom of his feet and the braces and eats it like curious George eats a banana with his feet.)

You and I would want to get out our long pants to cover them. Von? He asked Lisa on the way home from the hospital to stop at Target and buy him some shorts so he could show them off.

Von's treatments will last three more years, but the more intense treatments come in the first six months. We're entering month five and six and then it is on to the maintenance stage.

Because of the intensity of this last stage before maintenance, he has to be healthy and ready to take the last barrage of steroids and chemo. They call it 'delayed intensification' with is a really convenient phrase for 'the poopiest part of the whole deal'.

Today Von was flagged at his checkup for some abnormalities in his bone structures and they suspect the steroids have done damage and are hesitant to proceed. He goes in for a 4 hour MRI tomorrow to see what is up.

I'd like to ask you to pray for his protection while he is put under anesthesia for that long. I'd like for there to be nothing wrong with him and I'd like for us to be able to proceed to the last stage of the first 6 months.

Thanks for your love and support! If you're in the area, stop on by. We'll invent some new names for Von's boots together and eat a banana in any fashion that suites your fancy!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying for Von. Hopefully everything is fine with him. He is such a brave and adorable little boy. All your family will be on our prayers as well...
Luciana

Tally said...

Praying for Von for sure!!! And for you guys! :)

Tim Rovenstine said...

Thanks, you explained it well. We can and will be mindful throughout the day to quote Scriptural truth and believe that all is and will be well. We stand with you in great expectation that the news you get after the MRI will be upbeat. Luv ya...we really do, sensing I'm being drawn in a bonding love with you and Lisa and the girls and Von through it all.

Marlita said...

Thanks for the update Jason, and we will be praying for Von and the whole family today. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help Von through this. We love you guys!

Yvonne said...

We will most certainly lift Von up in our prayers. God's healing hand is over his life...his Guardian Angels are standing firm with him. I know we don't know each other that well but I love your sisters and your parents....so I feel like this is my nephew and my family is praying right along with yours!
Yvonne & Family~

jennifer... said...

I looked to see if those boots had turbos on the bottom like Iron Man's but I couldn't tell!  The Banks' will definitely be praying for you all.

Brian and Rachel said...

We will be praying for your little guy and for your continued strength in this battle.

Charissa said...

Give that boy as much birthday cake as he wants tomorrow! And a kiss and a squeeze from Aunt Charissa....

Tommy's mommy said...

LOVE the monkey boots! We continue to hold your family in prayer.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

June Berger said...

Dead God, I come before you praying for darling little Von, his bones to be strong enough to withstand this next round of chemo. For his body to tolerate it well and for all the cancer to be irradicated forever! Peace and comfort always for him and his family. In Jesus precious name, Amen

Melanie Martin said...

I may not know your family or Von personally, but I did recieve a message of your story to pray! We are all part of the family of God and I want you to know that me and my family will be praying for your little boy who seems like a young man who would be a bunch of fun to meet and hang out with. I pray peace, healing, and for the joy of the Lord to be Von's strength!

Melanie

Mel Murray said...

You have the Murray prayers going up today and tomorrow - and we will continue to pray till Von is completely well. Wish we could be with you tonight - we'd love to tell Von how insanely cool his boots are and laugh down a banana together. Love you guys.
Mel

Dalene said...

Stanley likes Von's monkey boots. He wants Von to know that sometimes he puts bologna in his toes and eats it, so they have something in common.

We are on our knees for Von!

Wendell Rovenstine said...

Tomorrow will be a day when I have several long periods of time when I can pray. I will. The Lord won't wake (guess he is always awake) and say "woop's I made a mistake." He has the situation worked out through the intercession of his saints. Therefore, all of us will wait upon the Lord and know He has it cared for.

Anonymous said...

Praying!
JoAnne

Mark said...

Forget the Ironman boots, he gets to play with Lincoln Logs. I haven't seen those in &%*$#@y-eight years.

mimsies said...

Love the monkey boots. Wish I had a pair!

How did the MRI go? We are praying for Von. Thanks for writing this - and the previous post, even though it had me crying over my computer. Not Chuck E. Cheese's, but still. Thanks for sharing this stuff with us, Jason.

Rachel

Shan said...

Didn't see the blog in time but caught the facebook report from Lisa about today's scan. Prayed for Precious, and will keep praying for good results until he can have a little breathing room from all this business!

Scout said...

That boy of your has the best parents ever, and I mean that sincerely.

Keep us all informed, and tell him those monkey boots are absolutely amazing, and I wish I had a pair of my own.y

Kirk D. said...

We haven't stopped praying for Von and family.

From a design standpoint the monkey boots are actually quite eye appealing.